Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Medical Experiment

Back on the beach experimenting with running while on death's door. Turns out, running may be the anodyne for what ails ya.


Time: 53 minutes
Distance: 6.08 miles
Effort: Easy
Body: Poor
Weather: Sunny and Warm

Everything went downhill fast last night at the meeting's closing dinner here outside St. Petersburg, Florida. Voice: gone. Sinuses: plugged. Throat: Sore. Body: aching. Overall well-being: non-existant.

Woke up feeling like the walking dead. Once I got up and around, though, the recovery began. By mid-afternoon, the notion of running wasn't laughable, but still felt ill-advised. Still, given that it was almost 80 degrees and perfectly sunny, I figured I should give it a shot.

Last night's sunset over the Gulf of Mexico.

Headed north up the beach of Long Key, the island on which our hotel sits. Ran to the end of the beach, a dead-end at an inlet encircled by concrete rip-rap. Turned tail and ran back to the hotel and continued on another 3/4 mile or so. Ended up with six miles. The Garmin credited me with 288 feet of elevation gain. Go figure. Makes me wonder how off it is on a mountain run.

Seems the run allowed me to sweat out some of the bad stuff that had taken over my system. Still wracked by the crud, but on the mend, I think.

The beach is swell, but can't wait to get back to the mountains.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, good thing you're not running in Moab this weekend! I'm impressed you got in 6 miles feeling like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the weather wasn't so perfect...I would have been in bed, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Running when I'm sick always clears me out and at least makes me feel better, if only temporary... Get better!

    ReplyDelete