Wednesday, December 9, 2009

December 9, 2009 - Washington, D.C.


Time: 1:41
Distance: 12.6 miles
Effort: Easy
Body: Good
Weather: Cool

Got off the plane today in Washington, D.C. thrilled to see the sun and to not be immediately chilled to the bone. With temps in the 40s, I knew right away a long run was in the offing. 

After work, I ran from my hotel in the Rosslyn 'hood of Arlington, VA, which is right across the Potomac River from Georgetown, bound for Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. The first couple of miles were along the west side of the river. There must have been some big rains around here because the river was lapping at the top of its banks.  I quickly made my way over Memorial Bridge, by the Lincoln Memorial and then onto the sidewalk that parallels Lincoln's reflecting pool.  I continued down the mall, past the WWII memorial and the Washington Monument.  

After I crossed 14th Street, I was running straight at the Capitol building. The light atop the dome was illuminated, signalling that Congress was in session.  I made my way past the many museums of the Smithsonian. As I approached Capitol Hill (it really is a small hill), I paused to have a look at the brightly lit congressional Christmas tree.  Beautiful.  Now on the Hill, I ran down East Capitol Street about a mile and a half and did a quick loop around Lincoln Park.

After a brief stop at a friend's house, I wound through some side streets and ran by a row house on Maryland Avenue, NE that I lived in for eight years in the 1990s.  Was surprised to see that the little Baptist church that used to be next door had been torn down and replaced by a couple of new row houses.  After passing Stanton Park, I made my way to Pennsylvania Avenue and ran that to the ellipse in front of the White House.  I paused here to join the phalanx of tourists and gaze at the White House Christmas tree.  (Not nearly as nice looking as the congressional tree).

Next I made my way back to the Potomac River and ran the bike path past the Kennedy Center and into lower Georgetown.  Once in Georgetown, I ran along a stretch of the C&O Canal towpath before hoping on Key Bridge to cross the river and return to Rosslyn and my hotel.

It was really nice to run again in shorts.  Took it easy on this run. My goal tonight was to run easy, keep the heart rate low and get in some miles. Mission accomplished.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, sweet run! That route sounds like a class field trip.

    ReplyDelete