Thursday, November 18, 2010

Test Drive

Easy five miles at Elk Meadow testing out the post-PT left plantar.


Time:  47 minutes
Distance: 5.14 miles
Effort: Easy
Body: Fair
Weather: Warm and mostly sunny



Spent an hour Tuesday with Mark Plaatjes at InMotion Rehabilitation in Boulder working on getting me back in the groove.  The man can be merciless.  But, then again, that's what I signed up for.  Much work on the left foot to break up the scar tissue around the plantar.  Had a few many moments of fist-clenching pain where I couldn't help but let out a groan or two.  He also did a bunch of work on my left calf to try and get things loosened up, and on my right hip flexor, which may be the source of the groin(ish) pain/tightness I've been having.  I have a theory that all the aches/pains I've suddenly had over the last month stem from the resurgence of plantar problems and the resulting change in gait.


Took one more day off after the session to let things settle in.  


Finally got out today for an easy five on the Meadow View loop.  Foot definitely felt better. I really had to focus on not focusing on running form. Just tried to free the mind and run. Caught myself many times thinking about the foot/calf.  Reminds me of how difficult it must be to meditate and think of nothing.


Will know in an hour or two how the foot is holding up.  Once again...fingers crossed

2 comments:

  1. Just out of curiosity, what was Mark's torture method? Ultrasound, manual massage?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Manual massage. Fingers o' steel. All followed by some electrical stimulation to get the blood moving through the traumatized areas.

    ReplyDelete