Monday, August 2, 2010

Green Mountain - Ups

Solid mid-afternoon run up Boulder's Green Mountain -- good enough for a 10 second PR. 


Time:  1:19
Distance: 6:52 miles
Effort: Moderate
Body: Good
Weather: Cloudy & Humid



I was eager to run today after mis-firing on the long run yesterday. Planned Sunday to do a long run in the Mt. Evans Wilderness, but by the time I got to Echo Lake to begin, it was pouring rain with no signs to the west that the dense, gray cloud bank would break up anytime soon. Just couldn't bear a wet, cold run. Returned to the east side of Squaw Pass (which has, thankfully, been renamed, but I can't remember to what) and parked at the lower entrance to the Beaver Brook parcel, which is now mostly part of the Arapaho National Forest. I walked around the gate and started running. I got, maybe,15 yards and stopped. I just wasn't into it. Went home.


Fast forward to Monday. Time for a little redemption. A solid run up Green Mountain is just the thing to get the mountain running mojo back in swing.


Started running from Chautauqua right around 2 p.m. Despite the gray skies, there were a ton of people milling around as I set off running over to the Gregory Canyon trailhead. After a quick pit stop, I hit the watch and started up Gregory, hitting the ranger cabin in 16:57. From there, it was just a steady grind up to the four-way in 35:17. Ran hard on the flatish section up to the first major set of stairs and settled into a hand-on-knees power climb.


As I approached the summit, I could hear a voice, but couldn't see anyone since I had my head down. Still looking at my feet, I got to the summit rock and immediately the voice was joined by a full-on yapping accompaniment.  A guy and his dog had commandeered the summit rock. Too focused to care about the noisy pup and its relatively small mouth of teeth, I paused for a couple seconds as the guy pulled the dog to the side and I completed the climb, clicking the watch (after several tries) at 38:38, a new PR by about 10 seconds. Not huge...but, I'll take it.


The guy apologized for his overly-enthusiastic dog as I caught my breath. Once my heart rate returned to normal, I returned down the summit trail back to the four-way and took Ranger down to Greenman and hung a right. I got in a bit more vertical climbing Greenman to Saddle. Pressed for time, I cruised quickly down Saddle to Ampi and returned through the Chautauqua meadow to the car.


Today was a very humid day, for Colorado. Felt great to sweat so much without the oppressive humidity so common east of the 100th meridian.  



7 comments:

  1. That is splitting from Chaut or from Gregory?

    Nice job on the PR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, nice time. I'm down to about 50:00 via Saddle Rock :)

    Dogs are not allowed on the EM Greenman trail, i.e. the summit, and your encounter is one of the reasons why (http://tinyurl.com/ldubdh). There's a sign right at the last junction. Too bad I can't write tickets.

    Come to think of it, the last one I saw up there was also a nervous barking puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw GZ's pics of this AM's run. Oh well. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. GZ - Thanks. The split was from the Gregory Canyon Trailhead sign. I wish it were from Chautauqua. (An easy 5:40 from Chau to Gregory).

    MTR2 - The best dogs have the best owners. The rest I can do without. Thankfully, GZ -- the scofflaw he is -- is one of the good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We took Ranger Gregory both ways!

    Dogs are allowed on the summit - and Lucy does have a voice / site control tag.

    They are not allowed via Saddle, etc. Or least not unleashed.

    I once took my father in law's bird dog up there on a leash. Some guy showed up with a monster green parrot on his shoulder. My father in law's dog is a BIRD DOG and was going bananas. It must have looked like a big green jolly rancher to him. I got off the summit in a hurry.

    The damn bird however was NOT leashed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, a PR is a PR....nice job!! I suspect I'm going to be chasing you on Pikes this year....

    ReplyDelete
  7. JM - Hah. That I seriously doubt. I still remember you blowing by me on the way up to No Name last year. I fully expect the same treatment this year.

    GZ - I'm sure we'll see "no bird" signs at OSMP trails in no time. Their sign budget is must make some Third World country budgets look small by comparison.

    ReplyDelete