Friday, November 13, 2009

Friday, November 13 - Elk Meadow

Run: Elk Meadow
Time: 43:03
Distance: 4.5 miles
Effort: Way Easy
Body: Very good
Weather: Cold, Socked-in

Following an afternoon meeting of the Kids Rodeo Stampede race committee, I headed out for a slooooow, easy loop through Elk Meadow Open Space. To a training junkie, these would no doubt have been labeled "junk" miles. For me, though, it was a welcome opportunity to spend a little quality time on the local trails.

The Kids Rodeo Stampede is a local running race for kids (50-yard dash, 1-mile and 2-mile races) here in Evergreen. The purpose of the race is to "help kids experience the many positive benefits of running and exercise in their lives." The race organizers even put together a race training plan the kids can use. The race raises some money for a couple of great organizations, including Children's Hospital Rehabilitation Department and the Runzillas, a kids running group up here in the foothills. The race will be run next summer on June 5th.

With the body feeling a little out-of-balance, I took yesterday off. With the cold, gray day we had today, I sorta regret not getting out. Still, I've been working hard to listen more intently to my body. And, yesterday, it was telling me to chill out.

I will be keeping a close eye on the weather tonight and in the morning. I'm hoping the heavy snow holds off long enough to let me get in a big loop in Boulder's Flatirons. Fingers crossed...

No comments:

Post a Comment