Friday, April 2, 2010

Taos - Carson National Forest

Time: 1:16
Distance: 8.2 miles
Effort: Easy
Body: Good
Weather: Mostly cloudy & cool



After a few days in Crested Butte, we dropped nephew Will off at Colorado College in the Springs and headed south. After a day's stop in Santa Fe to take in the art scene, we headed up to Taos to kick back and chill out. The place we stayed had a pool for the kids, was paid for with hotel points and was located not too far from the boundary of the Carson National Forest. Perfect.


Managed to get out on Thursday for an easy run up a two-lane county road to the forest boundary. My trails radar was going wild as I rounded a bend, looked up a canyon and saw the brown signs that are alternatively my savior and my bane. Those familiarly-colored signs inevitably mean access to public lands, hence the reference to them being my savior...my balm...my sanctuary. On the other hand, they also can be a bane in that they point to places I often don't have the time to explore, and that, at times, gnaws at me.


Today, though, I had a bit of time and headed up Trail 108 - the Devisadero Trail, which ascends Devisadero Peak, a peak the Taos Pueblo Indians used to use as a place to watch for Apache raiders coming down Taos Canyon. I followed the trail for several miles, gaining a couple of smaller summits in the hill-strewn foothills here. I didn't have enough time to get to Devisadero Peak (and, at the time, didn't know where the trail went), but enjoyed the time on the mostly-dry, south-facing trails.







No comments:

Post a Comment