Thursday, July 28, 2011

You Gotta Crawl Before You Can Run

Let the healing begin.

Things have been gradually improving of late as the body does its best to repair whatever nerve damage was done a bit over a month ago when I woke up in the wee hours with intense and unexplained pain radiating down both arms (and eventually settling mostly on the right side).

Aches/discomfort in the right arm continues to diminish...a little bit more everyday. Feels like some of the diminished fine motor skills are slowly returning, also in a bit-by-bit fashion. Not sure if my right arm strength is improving or not, but it continues to be noticeably less than that of my left.

I took a week off of running last week, due in part to out-of-town visitors, work and family schedules and a weekend trip with jP and friends to camp in Rocky Mountain National Park. I also decided that some time off might kick start the body's repair work. Hard to tell if the time off made a difference or not, but since things are improving, I'll take that as a sign that it was a wise decision.

I'm currently in Arlington, VA on a biz trip.  Got in a 8.78 mile jog last night running from a friend's place on Capitol Hill, down the National Mall, over Memorial Bridge, past the Iwo Jima Memorial and up the Custis Trail to my hotel, finishing up at 11:30 p.m. I felt pretty sluggish, but it was hot and I was toting a belly full of Indian food and a couple of Dogfish Imperial IPAs. Excuses. 

Still, I was happy to be moving for that 1.5 hours, and it felt good to sweat.

Got out this evening for a not-so-fun four-mile jog on some of the local paved bike paths. Felt creaky.

Home tomorrow.

Interesting piece in Velonews about what cyclists (and runners, no doubt) should do when they break their collar bones.

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear you're returning to some semblance of your former self. Hope it continues.
    I expect Maya is stoked too.
    One of my biggest disappointments down here is that the local hounds would make it impossible for me to run if Jackson came along. He's pretty torn up about it too, though the regular treats from the kids who walk by the fence probably make up for it...
    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life down South takes some adjustment on many fronts, I imagine. And, "semblance" is probably the right word, for now... Thanks for the comment, Jay!

    ReplyDelete